Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Winter wasn't so bad


Well, we didn't get hit with as much snow and ice as we thought we would. Here in Des Moines we only ended up with 1.3 inches of snow after the ice. I think they said there was about 1/8 inch of ice. My only problem was that the silly doors on my car froze shut. Thankfully my neighbor was getting ready to leave when I was going to start my car and he came down and pulled it open. Thanks John! Travel to work wasn't bad at all. Walking wasn't even bad underfoot when I got there. However, you would have thought some of the other drivers were here for the first time from Florida or something. They drove like idiots. I am surprised there weren't more accidents today than there were.


I felt really proud today. A student that used to be a student aide for me was in working on something for a class. Before she left she stopped at my desk and asked if I had lost a lot of weight. OMigosh, it felt so good. YES! 50 pounds! Long way to go, but it is happening! I can't stop! Tricia, you will never know how good that felt for you to say that. I do notice cause my jeans are 3 sizes smaller and other clothes 2 sizes, but it really felt good for someone else to notice again. It might be what I needed to get past my plateu for now.


Sometimes we get to feeling like our lives are not good. Like we don't have what we should, like things are always bad. I hear students say this all the time. They are so down on themselves. I share with them, I have been there. I know the feeling they are sharing. I tell them to find anything in the morning when they get up...anything and realize the positive from that one little thing. Soon life is more positives than negatives. Something positive might be that they had a bed to sleelp in, a blanket to cover up with, or they can see the sun when it comes up in the morning. I had a student share with me that they are doing this, something different every day and they said it is making things easier, they realize not everyone is against them, and they do have lots to be thankful for. So, leading up to my item of thankfulness for the day...


Today I am thankful that I was able to walk into the building at work on my own. I remember 4 years ago being told that I probably wouldn't walk much longer. I cried and Dennis gave me thoughts to remember, keep pushing and keep talking to new doctors. Today, I walked into the building on my own and was only in very minimal pain. That feels so glorious! What a great feeling! Without being able to walk, I probably would not be able to enjoy riding the motorcycle with Dennis, which is a true love.




Christmas is close, I still need to get about everything, but only buying for the boys and Tina. Not sure what yet, but we will see.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB STAYING POSITIVE & WHAT AN INFLUENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!